With All Your Heart

Imagine yourself driving along. 
The light turns red. 
You put your foot on your car brakes, and the car gently rolls to a stop. 
What if they didn't work? 
Did you really think about what you just did? 
Probably not. 

After weeks, months or years of driving you just know that generally speaking, the brakes work. And nothing bad happens. So you just press on them, and the car glides to a stop. This is a poor example , but an effective one.

My mind wandered to this the other day as I was driving home from work and stopped at a light. I trusted my brakes. That they would stop me from crashing into the car ahead of me. Keep me from turning a corner too fast, or speeding down the highway uncontrollably.  
What would it mean to trust my Creator, my Savior...my Father like that? To know without a doubt that He is Trustworthy and there to catch me when I fall (or crash, or am speeding in the wrong direction). 

It says in Proverbs 3:5-6 to trust the Lord with "All your Heart"... and He will direct your paths. Why wouldn't I want to give up all my plans, fear in the unknown, and other "me" things for the plans the One who loves most has written for me? He desires the best. But what I'm afraid of is what will His best be? Will it be hard or painful? 

Well. That Doesn't Matter. 
For He says:
"When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior"

Isaiah 43:2-3

Why wouldn't I trust Him who said those words? You might say it's a gamble, but the odds look better on this side.  So even if it is hard, painful, or I have to give up things I want...it will be worth it all. In the end, it will be okay for I will have follow Him rather than myself and my plans. 

So, what would my life look like if I placed more trust in the Living God than I do my car's brakes? Because, if we are really truly honest, I'd say we all trust our brakes a bit more than God sometimes. (Perhaps not all the time...but sometimes.) I know I don't trust Him, or anybody else, very much. So this will be difficult. But I pray I find out.
 It's going to be a journey, and a learning process... but I have faith that my God will not leave me or forsake me. He hems me in behind and before,
    and has laid His hand upon me, and no matter where I go- He is there. 
So, I will have faith, and trust in His plan- with all my heart. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for writing this Kate! I really needed to read that this morning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts