Step by Step.

I'm only human; I'm just a girl
Help me believe in what I could be and all that I am
Show me the stairway
I have to climb
Lord for my sake
Teach me to take
One day at a time

One day at a time, sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you
Give me the strength to do everything that I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Help me today
Show me the way
One day at a time.



This particular song has been stuck in my head the past few days. I've forgotten where I heard it first, It seems to echo out of some distant memory when I was a child. I'm sure I heard it at some gospel singing or something... 
The words however, resonate with me right now. 

"Show me the stairway/I have to climb/Lord for my sake/Teach me to take/One day at a time"

That's all we can do, one day at a time. How did the ant eat the elephant? One bite at a time?
No matter how fast we go, no matter how big our dreams- the fastest we can get there is one breathe, one step, one second at a time. No faster- for anyone. No matter how great or small. 

What's my mountain right now? Several things, Nursing school- for one, how all thats going to work...Midwifery, the desire to travel, to see new places and experience new things. Work, how I pay bills..... I mean, I even worry about what God's will for my life is, and if I'm in the center of His will!
Today, however- in my quiet time I read Psalm 40. In the very beginning of this beautiful Psalm were the words "I waited patiently  for the Lord, He turned to me, and heard my cry"
What really struck me here was the word Waited. 
Waited.
Not in turmoil, not worrying, not doing things, running around like a chicken with your head lopped off, not scrounging around wondering what to do...
Waiting.
Next part. " God TURNED to me, and HEARD my cry, and BROUGHT ME OUT of the pit, out of the miry clay"
Who's doing the actions here? God. He's turning, hearing, and bringing me out. What am I doing? 
Waiting. 
In the next few verses of the Psalm God sets my feet on a rock, give me a firm place to stand, and a New Song of Praise to sing. Other see it- the testimony of Grace. Fear God, and trust in the Lord. Did *I* have anything to do with it? Well, yes, and no. All I did was wait. (That in and of itself can be hard) For those of you that know me... I like to have a PLAN and everything mapped out... IN DETAIL. On one hand I can be very last minute and flexible, on another I'm incredibly particular about details. (Weird mish-mosh, I know.)
Back to my point...
My choice to Wait on the Lord not only blesses me, but brings others to trusting in the Lord. What a testimony! 

So, now that I've heard this message, preached to myself a bit, and had the light bulb come on....
Now I just have to wait and trust. 
Yikes. 
Thankfully all I have to do is take one day, one step, one breath at a time. 




Comments

Popular Posts