A Theory- Of Love and Friends.

So, this is a post that I've been thinking on for awhile now.
This may not be as interesting to you as it is to me- but feel free to comment about it to me!
 (I know most of the people who read this will not comment, but might say something to me via email or facebook, and that's fine. I know commenting can be an annoying process)

First off, let's start with you. Who do you consider your closest friends? Why?

For me, right off the bat I see 3 close friends in my mind's eye that I can't imagine going through life without. They are gifts, and I'm so blessed!
But WHY do I feel this way?  Honestly? Because they spend time with me, they give fabulous hugs, and I know I can call them if I'm in a pinch, and I know at least one (for sure) would be here if I needed her to. They challenge me intellectually (one probably more than the other two. haha) and spiritually, and aren't afraid to ask some of the hard questions.
 That's just to name a few things.
(Proverbs 27:17  As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another )

I mean really, pretty much the only reason we have friends at all is because they can do something for us. (Selfish, right?) Well, we were created to need each other, just like we need God.
(Ecclesiastes 4:9-10   Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!)

But what is it that attracts to specific people? Of all 3 of my friends I'm thinking of I'm am VASTLY different than all three of them, and they are all vastly different from each other. So, what's some of the things that are in common?
Well, other than the obvious- agreeing on (most) doctrinal points, and perhaps enjoying some of the same things. Dancing, singing, gardening, talking etc. there's another thing!

And this is my theory- often some of the best friends are created because we have the same top love languages.
I'm sure you're familiar with the 5 love languages.

-Acts of service
-Words of affirmation
-Quality time
-Touch
-Gifts

Of course, this is boxing people in a bit. ( I can hear one of my friends objecting right now about boxing people in. She's called me out on doing it before.) But I do believe there is SOME truth to this!

So, what are your top 2 or 3 love languages? Mine are (can you guess? If you know me well you should be able to! Because that's WHY you know me well. haha)
#1- Quality Time and #2- Touch.

I'm fairly certain those 3 close friends have at least one of those in their top 2.
Naturally, personality, interests, social standing, education, yada yada yada also plays into this- and there can be any number of combinations of these factors. But without thinking TOO hard. Think of your 1-3 closest friends. What do you do with them? Why do you love being with them?
Why you love being with them is probably partially the same reason they love being with you.

Interesting, huh?
I'm sure this is flawed... so don't pick it apart too much.
:)
~Kate




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts